Keep yourself informed with some facts before watching the much-anticipated DC film.
DC’s Extended Universe is on a roll and despite lukewarm reviews for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, fans are still excited about the upcoming movies from the DC slate. I’m sure you’ve seen the awesome trailers for Wonder Woman and Justice League but since those films won’t come out until next year, you can shift your excitement to Suicide Squad, which finally comes out this week.
Check out the top 10 things you must know before watching the movie:
1. Vendetta for Batman – It has been revealed that all the villains present on this movie were put in prison by Batman himself, and almost all of them have a personal vendetta against the caped crusader.
2. The Joker for real? –Jared Leto, who’s playing the psychotic villain in this latest iteration reportedly got too much into his role that he only replies when addressed as ‘Mr. J’, not to mention the weird stuff that his cast mates got as a ‘gift’ from him. Freaky.
3. Mad Max as Rick Flag – Tom Hardy was initially approached to do the role of Rick Flag, which is now played by Joel Kinnaman. Scheduling problems with filming The Revenant (to which he got an Oscar nomination) forced him to drop out. Now we’re wondering how it will be if Tom Hardy ended up playing the role.
4. The Jokermobile – If Batman has the Batmobile, then the Joker also has his own Jokermobile. You may have seen it on some of the trailers, which is a customized Infiniti G35 Coupe Vaydor.
5. Supervillains as protagonists – With the plethora of superhero movies shown and scheduled to be released, Suicide Squad is actually the first comic book movie that features supervillains in the title role. Sometimes it’s good to be bad.
6. Katana and the Enchantress – Though heavily featured on promotional material, it is now known that Katana isn’t part of the squad (at first) and is merely acting as a bodyguard for Rick Flag’s character. Additionally, from the recent trailers we can somehow decipher that The Enchantress is one of the villains the squad is trying to stop.
7. A Flash-y cameo – We all know Batman will be making an appearance in the movie, but a recent press release highlighted the final cast and crew – and to everyone’s surprise, Ezra Miller (The Flash), is part of the cast. Maybe it will be one of those blink-or-you’ll-miss-it cameos (no pun).
8. Fun and less dark – There was some debate with the first two DC movies (Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice) being too dark, but fans will find that Suicide Squad will be more on the ‘fun’ side, despite the action and violence. Evidenced by the recent trailers, it looks like we’re in for a fun ride.
9. DC Extended Universe – As the third part of the DC Extended Universe that stated with Man of Steel in 2013, Suicide Squad will take place immediately after the events in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice shown earlier this year. It will then continue with a solo Wonder Woman movie plus the much-anticipated Justice League films to come next year (with more movies planned right after).
10. Mid credits scene – DC looks like it is doing the Marvel and early screenings mentioned that there will be a mid-credits scene taking place. So don’t leave the theater just yet!
Suicide Squad opens in UAE theaters August 4th. As a treat, VOX Cinemas is bringing Will Smith (yes, Deadshot!) for a special screening this Sunday, August 7th at the biggest cinema in the Middle East in Deira City Centre. If you book a ticket online before August 4th, you stand a chance to win a meet-and-greet with Will Smith during the screening. Head on to https://uae.voxcinemas.com for more information.