The movie opens this Thursday.
Joaquin Phoenix stars in this origin story of one of Batman’s most famous foes. But Joker isn’t marketed as a comic book or superhero movie, but instead, it is a look inside the mind of Arthur Fleck years before became the clown prince of crime.
Joker already earned awards and praises from critics and people who have attended early screenings. From what we’ve seen, it’s easily one of the most thought-provoking movies of the year with some saying that Phoenix deserves an Oscar for his role.
With that in mind, have a read on some of these facts about Joker before seeing it this weekend:
1. Despite Joker being based on a comic book character, it was said that this origin story will be more grounded and raw, and will tackle Arthur’s mental illness.
2. Joker is meant to be the start of standalone DC movies that won’t be part of any shared universe.
3. Joaquin Phoenix evidently lost a lot of weight for the movie and director Todd Phillips ruled that filming can only be done once without reshoots seeing as how vulnerable Phoenix’s physique is.
4. The makers of the movie said that Alan Moore’s graphic novel ‘The Killing Joke’ along with Martin Scorsese movies Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy are the main influences for Joker.
5. While there have been DC movies that were rated R before (the last one was Watchmen in 2009), Joker is the first R-rated movie in the theatrical Batman releases.
6. Viggo Mortensen, more popularly known as Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings film series, was offered the role of Thomas Wayne but turned it down.
7. Alec Baldwin was originally playing Thomas Wayne but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts.
8. Joker’s production budget of $55 million was considered low compared to other comic book movies.
9. Todd Phillips is famously known to have directed The Hangover Trilogy.
10. Despite a new Batman being filmed next year, it was noted that this Joker wouldn’t face Robert Pattinson’s Batman.
Joker opens in the UAE on October 3rd.