Just say the word.
The DCEU’s next big movie, Shazam! opens in cinemas this week. The movie has already been getting lots of positive feedback from critics and people who were lucky enough to attend an early screening.
But before you watch the movie, brush up on some of these Shazam! facts:
- The film originally would have featured supervillain Black Adam which is now confirmed to be played by Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson but the producers decided to give Black Adam his own origin film instead – Johnson still produces the movie though.
- Mark Strong is no stranger to comic book movies. He previously had roles in Kick-Ass, Green Lantern, and the two Kingsman movies, making Shazam! his fifth comic book movie.
- Henry Cavill was originally going to have to cameo in the film but wasn’t able to film his scenes due to scheduling conflicts with Mission: Impossible – Fallout.
- If you’re familiar with the DC/Marvel rivalry, Captain Marvel was the original name for Shazam! which was also the name of the female superhero we know from Marvel Comics. Funny enough, the film adaptation of Shazam! comes a month after the release of Captain Marvel.
- Zachary Levi packed in 20 pounds of muscle for the film, shutting down people who commenting that set pictures of him wearing the costume looked ‘padded’. Coincidently, the same issue happened with Gal Gadot when she as cast as Wonder Woman for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, with people saying she’s too ‘thin’ for the role.
- The movie is set in Philadelphia, the same setting for Sylvester Stallone’s ‘Rocky’, which also has a strong presence on the film.
- The filmmakers said that the movie ‘Big’ was a huge influence on the film. Big starred Tom Hanks as a kid who became an adult overnight.
- Typical of all superhero movies now, there will be two post-credits scenes
- Annabelle, the titular demonic doll from The Conjuring series (also produced by Warner Bros.) makes another cameo in the movie. This marks the doll’s second cameo on a DC movie, with Aquaman being the last. Also worth noting that Aquaman was directed by James Wan, who made the first two Conjuring movies and Shazam! is directed by David F. Sandberg, who made Annabelle Creation and Lights Out.
- Shazam isn’t just a name, it’s an acronym of the following gods where his powers come from:
S – Solomon’s wisdom
H – Hercules’ strength
A – Atlas’ stamina
Z – Zeus’ power
A – Achilles’ courage
M – Mercury’s speed
Shazam! opens in UAE cinemas this Thursday.
[Thanks to IMDB for all these cool trivia]