New Star Wars movie opens this Thursday.
Another Star Wars movie is opening this Thursday, and it is part of the new series of Star Wars spinoffs that started with 2016’s Rogue One. Solo: A Star Wars Story will focus on the early days of Han Solo before he met Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.
Here are some things you should know before seeing ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’:
1. The movie originally has director Phil Lord and Christopher Miller attached to the project. With three weeks left to shoot, the directors were fired by Lucasfilm and replaced by Ron Howard, who mostly reshot the movie. Reports said that the producers reportedly clashed with them and didn’t feel that the movie is going on a comedic feel (the directors made 21 Jump Street and The Lego Movie) so they were replaced.
2. The role of Woody Harrelson was originally going to be played by Christian Bale.
3. With Ron Howard now directing, he will be the first Star Wars director that has won an Academy Award. He won an Oscar for Best Director for the movie A Beautiful Mind in 2002.
4. Laurence Kasdan co-wrote the screenplay, which will be his fourth and final time to write a Star Wars movie. He previously wrote the screenplay for The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens.
5. A LOT of actors have auditioned for the part of Han Solo. Miles Teller, Ansel Elgort, Dave Franco, Jack Reynor, Scott Eastwood, Logan Lerman, Colton Haynes, Taron Egerton, Jack O’Connell and Blake Jenner were all shortlisted before finally casting Alden Ehrenreich.
6. The movie will be set 10 years before Episode IV: A New Hope and 7 years before the start s of the Star Wars: Rebels TV series, which will show how Solo became a smuggler and how he met Chewbacca.
7. Early reports said that Michael B. Jordan was supposed to play Lando Calrissian before it went to Donald Glover.
8. This will be the first Star Wars movie to not feature R2-D2 and C-3PO.
9. Paul Bettany wasn’t part of the original cast. He was cast after the original actor playing his character wasn’t available for reshoots.
10. Solo: A Star Wars Story’s May release date will coincide with the 41st anniversary of the first Star Wars movie, A New Hope which opened in theaters in 1977.
[Trivia lifted from IMDB].