Once a Croft, always a Croft.
This weekend will see the latest Tomb Raider march into screens featuring Academy Award winner Alicia Vikander in the titular role of Lara Croft. While the images of Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft is still fresh on everyone’s mind, it’s now Alicia Vikander’s turn to show that she can also kick ass.
Here’s some cool trivia that you must before seeing Tomb Raider:
– From the looks of the trailer (and was confirmed by the filmmakers), the movie will be based on the 2013 reboot of Tomb Raider which features a grittier tone.
– Alicia Vikander isn’t just the second actress to play Lara Croft, but the second Academy Award-winning actress to play her. Coincidentally, both Vikander and Jolie won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.
– Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Last Jedi), Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones), Saoirse Ronan (Ladybird) and Cara Delevingne (Suicide Squad) were all considered to play Lara Croft
– Alicia Vikander went through intense training to develop muscle to play Lara Croft. She also did her own stunts.
– Paramount Pictures originally had the rights to the film franchise but after the last Tomb Raider bombed at the box office, it expired and was acquired by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer who now produces this reboot.
Tomb Raider opens in UAE cinemas this Thursday, March 15th.
[Thanks to IMDB for these awesome movie facts]