Read More
This woman suffered burns on her face because of this gadget
vportiz
March 16, 2017
COMMENTS

Smartphones are not the only ones that explode.

A flight from Beijing to Melbourne almost turned into tragedy when a woman’s pair of wireless headphones suddenly exploded mid-flight. The incident happened two hours after taking off from Beijing.

“As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face,” the woman said. “I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck. I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor. They were sparking and had small amounts of fire.”

The woman suffered burns of her face but the good thing is that the crew managed to control the situation by placing the headphones in a bucket of water for the while duration of the flight. While the flight continued, every complained of smelling burned plastic and hair the entire time.

The specific headphone model was not disclosed, but between this and the other incidents like the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and the Hoverboards a few months back, it all has one common denomination: batteries.

As more and more gadgets rely on rechargeable batteries as a power source, more stringent laws should be made as not let incidents like these happen again.

[Image credit: Australian Transport Safety Bureau]

by vportiz
Tech Enthusiast and Movie Buff. Has passion for all things tech - you’ll normally find him tinkering with the latest gadgets and computer peripherals. He is an avid collector of DVDs and Blu-ray discs, and recently discovered his love for gaming. Follow him on Twitter at @vp_ortiz17